If you are engaged in e-commerce or care about your online presence, most probably, you have already heard about SEO. Search engine optimization is a not-so-secret weapon to make a website more noticeable online and drive more traffic.
Table of contents
Online market leaders invest a considerable part of their marketing budgets in SEO. Yet, if you are a small company or start working on search engine optimization, the lack of funds shouldn’t discourage you. There are plenty of online SEO tools and checkers that offer free access to their SEO analysis functions. They help enhance ranking positions in Google SERPs, build backlinks, improve the quality of content, and much more.
Such online SEO analysis software is sufficient to run an initial SEO audit of your website and detect major optimization mistakes. Fixing them may be enough to raise the positions in Google ranking and boost your SEO. Besides, you will evaluate the functionality of the tested online SEO tools before starting a paid subscription. Thus, it’s a great opportunity to choose the most suitable SEO software and save money.
To help you choose an optimum SEO checker tool, we have prepared an overview of the best free SEO analysis tools. It’s not a rating, so we encourage you to get acquainted with different SEO tools before making your choice.
What is Website SEO?
SEO or search engine optimization is the improvement of technical characteristics and content of a website to meet the requirements of search engines and customer’s needs. During this process, specialists conduct an SEO website analysis to determine the areas for improvement. In addition, they analyze the position of a website among its direct Google Search competitors and build a strategy to improve its online ranking.
Generally, there are 3 main types of website SEO:
- On-page SEO. This subtype of search engine optimization comprises keyword analysis, online content creation, and keyword optimization.
- Technical SEO. This SEO type is about optimizing site speed, crawlability, website architecture, security, and responsiveness. In other words, SEO experts perform the technical website audit to find any technical bottlenecks that affect its SEO.
- Off-site SEO. This SEO strategy is all about building backlinks and increasing the website’s authority for search engines.
To put it simply, search engine optimization is a sure way to improve a website’s ranking positions in SERP results. The better SEO a site has, the closer to the top it ranks.
Essential Role of SEO in 2020: Why Does Your Website Need an SEO Audit?
SEO is Google’s way to establish justice in Google Search. Without search engine optimization, it would be very easy to manipulate Google’s ranking positions. As a result, manipulators would be shown at the top of Google, whereas the websites with engaging and quality online content would rank lower.
Thus, although SEO requires additional effort from website owners, it introduces the order in Google Search. As a result, users receive more accurate and relevant online search rankings, whereas websites have clear directions on what they should improve to rank at the top. Even though Google doesn’t share all factors taken into account by its search ranking algorithms, there are many generally approved SEO techniques. These search engine optimization strategies have proven effective and can help your website outperform competitors in Google.
Types of online tools for website SEO and SERP ranking analysis
- Speed analyzers. Online speed is essential to rank your website higher in SERPs. Fortunately, there are plenty of free speed checkers that can measure website load time. Try using Pingdom, PageSpeed Insights, WebPageTest, or any other alternative online checker. A one-second delay in page loading decreases the number of page views by 11%. That’s why software for online speed check is a must-use to keep your website afloat.
- Rank tracking tools. Let’s say you have finished writing content according to all search engine optimization rules. What’s next? After the content is published, you need to make sure the articles and keywords properly rank on Google. To perform such analysis manually, you would need to type each keyword in Google to find your pages in SERPs. Don’t do that!
- Keyword Research tools. No need to say that keyword research is the foundation of website search engine optimization. Advanced keyword analysis software significantly speeds up the discovery phase and brings numerous other SEO benefits. In particular, keyword analyzers can show the content gaps of your competitors.
- SEO reporting tools. SEO reporting software is necessary for anyone who wants to rank in the top SERPs and stay there forever. The thing is that search engine optimization is a continuous process that requires monitoring and tuning-up. Such website checkers analyze website performance based on selected KPIs and regularly provide SEO reports.
- CompetitTools. To launch a successful SEO strategy, treat competitors like your teachers, not like your enemies. Competitor websites have been in your industry for a while and introduced diverse SEO ranking techniques.
- Local SEO tools. Although Google’s ranking is global, many buying decisions happen locally. Customers who need car rental services in Paris would rather search for “car rental services in Paris” than for “car rental.” Thus, if your business is tied to a specific location, remember to use local SEO software for website optimization. Such SEO optimization tools usually comprise an automated listings finder (to look for directory listing opportunities), automated update of all listings, review management features.
Overview of the Best SEO Tools and SEO Checkers in 2020
Plerdy is a multifunctional tool for search engine optimization, UX analysis, and marketing. Getting free or paid access to this software, users instantly receive a full toolkit for website growth and promotion.
Unlike other tools, in addition to SEO analysis functionality, Plerdy’s software also provides custom pop-ups and heatmaps. This allows you to develop a website in all the main directions with single SEO software.
Ahrefs is SEO tracking software that collects all important optimization metrics in one dashboard. Using the Site Explorer feature, you can research backlinks, organic keywords, organic/paid traffic, domain rating, detailed information about competitors, and more.
This Google’s software is one of the most renowned tools for SERP ranking analysis. It’s a 100% free checker that helps website owners to monitor, troubleshoot, and maintain the position of their online resource in SERPs. With GSC you can confirm that Google crawls your website, fix indexing problems, examine backlinks, and more.
Although Screaming Frog has a quite complex interface and the learning curve, its features are worth the effort. This search engine optimization checker performs an analysis of website metadata, finds broken links, duplicate pages, or errors, and integrates with other SEO tools, including Google Analytics and GSC.
Netpeak Spider has a pretty simple and usable interface with an interactive dashboard on which you’ll find all data based on crawling results. This crawler stops over 80 website optimization issues such as finding broken links, images or checking for duplicate content (pages, title, and meta description, H1s, and so on).
SEMrush creators call this analyzer an all-inclusive SEO software. Well, this checker definitely deserves such a title. SEMrush comprises features for SEO (keyword research, backlink building and analysis, SERP rating tracking, site audit, and on-page SEO analysis), advertising (advertising research, ad builder, product listing ads, etc.), social media, content analysis (content audit, topic research, SEO content templates), competitive research with a backlink and keyword gap analysis, and reporting.
This software solution is a Chrome/Firefox add-on for keyword research. It’s a wonderful option to receive constant updates on keyword metrics, such as monthly search volume, cost per click, and Adwords competition. In addition, with Keywords Everywhere, you can see keyword data right below your Google Search bar, which significantly saves time otherwise spent on navigation and copy-pasting.
This platform for search engine optimization comprises functionality for position tracking (SERP research, SERP historical data, traffic distribution, local search), backlink analysis (competitors’ backlinks, backlinks domain authority), keyword research, and website audit.
This SEO research tool offers users to immediately start with their website analysis. After you enter the URL, Siteliner scans the online resources for duplicate content and compares them with competitors. You can find out the average number of words per page, content types, internals links per page, and other metrics.
This SEO checker helps to find any mentions of a company online. Such citations affect local SEO ranks and are critical to promoting an online resource locally. You can see what competitors rank the highest for your location and explore their backlinks. Their backlink profile may help you understand how to build your own links and improve the SERP positions.
This keyword rank tracker is designed specifically for keyword research. Use it to understand what terms are trending today and how many competitors try to rank for them in Google’s SERPs. In this tracker.
The main purpose of the online backlink tracker designed by Majestic is backlink research. This tool analyzes your backlink profile backward and forward, providing detailed statistics on external links, referring domains, crawled and indexed URLs, etc. Besides, you can determine if two websites have similar URLs, compare the metrics of your page with your competitors, and track your favorite web resources to learn from them.
Scapebox’s toolkit includes 4 major features: Search Engine Harvester (collects thousands of URLs from Google, Yahoo, and Bing to generate lists of URLs that match your keywords and niche), trainable Blog Commenter (can post comments or your blog or other platforms), Proxy Harvester, and Keyword Scraper (collect keyword suggestions from many popular services).
As you have probably understood from our selection of the Best SEO Tools and SEO Checkers, the choice is huge. So before making it, try to formulate your needs and expectations clearly. For example, if you are an agency, you may need software with white-labeling and advanced reporting. On the other hand, a business owner who doesn’t plan to run deep SEO audits should pay attention to multifunctional tools for website promotion.