If you are reading this article, you’re probably looking for web analytics software. For example, you may be a website owner, marketer, UX/UI designer, or SEO specialist and want to track user behavior on a web resource.
Regardless of who you are, you definitely know that heatmaps are a reliable source of information to optimize website performance. Especially, tried and tested heatmaps, such as Hotjar and Lucky Orange. However, if you cannot choose between them, we offer you to check out a concise comparison. Functionality, reviews, and expert opinion should help you determine which web analytics tool is more suitable.
|Key features / Builder||Hotjar||Lucky orange|
|Value for Money||4.5||4.7|
|Ease of Use||4.6||4.2|
|Quality of Support||4.25||4.3|
|Ease of Setup||4.4||5|
|Ease of Doing Business With||4.45||4.5|
|Product Direction (% positive)||4.2||3.8|
|Websites Powered (Number)||443 022||26 813|
|Number of Review||334||58|
|Free Trial (Days)||✔ (15)||✔ (7)|
|Free Plan (Time)||✔ (forever)||✘|
|Number of Plans||7||5|
|Entry Level Price||free||10$|
|Cheapest Plan (Monthly)||€99||10$|
|Most Popular Plan (Monthly)||€189||20$|
|Most expensive (Monthly)||€989||100$|
|Discounts per year||-||10%|
|Click data segmentation by type of traffic||✘||✔|
|Analysis of dynamic elements||✘||✔|
|Data Segmentation by date||✘||✔|
|Sequence of clicks||✘||✘|
|Polls and Surveys||✔||✔|
|Multiple question types||✔||✔|
|NPS (Net Promoter Score)||✔||✘|
|Replay visitor sessions||✔||✔|
|Heatmaps and Recordings sharing||✔||✘|
|Conversion Segmentation by type of traffic||✘||✘|
|Conversion Segmentation by date||✔||✘|
|Conversion Analysis Unique page views||✘||✘|
|Ability to integrate||✔||✔|
|Training In Person||✘||✘|
|Training Live Online||✔||✘|
We recommend that you read the next articles:
- 17 Best Hotjar Alternatives & Competitors 2020
- 20 Best Website Heatmap Tools
- Compare Hotjar VS Crazy Egg
What is Hotjar
This service is an all-in-one toolkit with heatmaps, session recordings, surveys, and incoming feedback collection. It provides color-based heatmap snapshots that show what website elements are clicked, scrolled, and hovered the most often. If this information is insufficient, Hotjar empowers you to ask customers what they think about website directly. A forever-free plan is another significant benefit of this tool.
What is Lucky Orange
Lucky Orange is a website conversion tool that includes heatmaps as a part of its core functionality. Just like Hotjar, it provides session recordings and polls for deeper website analysis. In addition, LuckyOrange has live chats and a powerful analytics dashboard where users can view traffic sources, compare statistics, and see what keywords, locations, languages, and other factors drive the most traffic. However, whereas Hotjar is mostly a user behavior analytics service, Lucky Orange focuses on conversion funnel optimization.
- Click, scroll, and mouse cursor heatmaps that display how users interact with website pages in snapshots
- Session recordings to view the navigation path of website visitors in a video-like format
- Customizable forms and polls, use to collect feedback or generate leads.
- Simple interface and quality usability
- Data collection on mobile devices that enables you to track visitor behavior both on desktop and mobile website versions
- Multiple integrations supported
- Funnel visualization
- Scalable pricing plans. Pricing changes depending on the number of pageviews
Lucky Orange Functionality
- Heatmaps that show how people read website and interact with it
- Heatmap data segmentation by location, date, browser, mobile users, and other parameters
- Comprehensive dashboard where you see how many people are currently on website, where they come from, what pages are visited the most often, etc.
- Live chats with website visitors that allow you to instantly solve customers’ problems while they’re still browsing web pages
- Session recordings that capture every move of website visitors, including dynamic and member-only pages
- Conversion funnel visualization to identify when visitors drop off and find out how to prevent this
Expert Opinion on Hotjar
Hotjar is a gold standard of web analytics. It offers detailed heatmaps with an intuitive design that people like so much. These heatmaps will become a great asset to UX/UI designers, SEO specialists, and digital marketers who need to evaluate a web resource’s usability and determine the best ways to locate content. The only pain point is that Hotjar doesn’t collect data on dynamic elements. Thus, users are not always able to track everything they need.
Although Hotjar has become famous for its heatmaps, it has a range of other web analytics features. Surveys and polls are among them. For example, if you find that heatmap data isn’t enough to decide what affects user behavior, collect feedback right from website visitors. It may be useful to watch session recordings. These are realistic movies Hotjar generates based on collected data to show the navigation journey of website users.
If you decide to choose Hotjar, mind budget. The tool is more costly than its alternatives and maybe not be suitable for individual use. As an option, start with a free Hotjar version to decide whether you need it. Then, once business starts growing, easily switch to a more advanced plan.
Expert Opinion on Lucky Orange
Lucky Orange positions itself as a tool for website conversion optimization. I would divide its features into two broad categories – web analytics and live chats. Such a combination helps to understand what happens on a website and immediately take steps to fix problems.
The web analytics capabilities of Lucky Orange include dynamic heatmaps, session recordings, conversion funnel visualization, and a bunch of detailed reports. This functionality is enough to see what people do on a web resource, generate some statistics, and analyze. Whereas heatmaps show what users click, recordings help to understand what makes them behave like this. Visualizations and statistics help view aggregate data.
The best thing about Lucky Orange is real-time analytics and chats. See what people are doing at this moment and initiate direct chats with them. The worst is probably usability and design. Lucky Orange isn’t intuitive and may be confusing sometimes. Since the tool targets a broad non-tech audience, its creators should do something about usability.
Overall, Lucky Orange is a very well-priced option with rich functionality.
Here are some reviews about Hotjar.
What do you like about Hotjar:
- Hotjar provides tons of learning materials and video content with tips. For someone who has never used web analytics software before, they are critical. Learn how to install the tool, use every offered feature, and get the most out of the functionality. There aren’t many tools with the same level of customer support out there.
- Polls are great for people whose websites don’t have lots of visitors. We are a small digital business getting its first customers. It’s not always possible to draw conclusions from heatmap data and understand trends. So we customize Hotjar’s polls and place them on our pages to ask people what they think. This way, we learn what new features to implement and how to build out digital marketing strategies.
- We’ve been using Hotjar for 8 months already. It adds to the functionality of Google Analytics and provides us with deeper insight into user behaviors. Instead of pure statistics, we can see our website as it is. Understand which elements are properly placed and which would be more effective somewhere else. During this period, we’ve seen a significant improvement in our marketing metrics, which was largely achieved with the help of HJ findings.
What would you improve:
- I’m frustrated because clips added on some parts of pages sometimes don’t add up.
- It doesn’t show me when I set something wrong. For example, I configured funnels and was hoping to get some stats, but nothing happened. It would be great if Hotjar implemented some useful tips to guide users as they set up everything.
- Surveys have limited customization. I need more options to collect different kinds of data from my website visitors.
- Video playback speed is too slow for me. I offer review video sessions one by one, and the loading takes more time than I’m ready to wait.
Lucky Orange Reviews
Here are some reviews about Lucky Orange.
What do you like about Lucky Orange:
- Pricing. Lucky Orange is cheaper than most of its competitors, but the functionality is practically the same. For $20 per month, you will get session recordings, heatmaps, and up to 60,000 pageviews. It’s a real catch for small businesses that need to mind their expenses.
- Lucky Orange collects data on dynamic elements. Not all web analytics tools do that. It displays information in real-time, which means that instantly see how users interact with a web page. This makes website analysis more engaging and flexible. Once you make the slightest chance, you see how it affects behavioral patterns and can keep finger on the pulse. This saved us from poor design choices many times.
- Live chats are my favorites. We invite customers to chat with us should they need some help. These chats are supported both on desktop and mobile devices and definitely deserve praise for the user experience they offer. Also modify colors and text to customize them.
- Lucky Orange smoothly integrates with Hubspot, and the setup process is simple. It’s easy to manage configurations, tags, and track notifications. Nothing to complain about.
What would you improve:
- The only thing I don’t like is that historical data is limited. To access the information from the previous period, you will need to upgrade storage. Since they provide a lot of data, you won’t store it all without paying additional charges. I didn’t expect that.
- The funnel feature is easy to understand, but I find it quite useless. Well, you know how many visitors bounce and when they leave, but what do with this?
- We had trouble generating heatmap reports several times. Lucky Orange needs to work on the technical glitches.
Hotjar is a leading web analytics tool with advanced heatmaps, whereas Lucky Orange combines heatmapping functionality with live chats and other features. Therefore, if you seek reliable click, scroll, and move heatmaps for website, consider using Hotjar. However, if you are more focused on conversion funnel optimization, Lucky Orange may suit needs better.
Generally, Lucky Orange is considered a more affordable option. It offers the same functionality as Hotjar but with limited capabilities. Hence, the choice should depend on the scope of data you want to analyze and store.