The e-commerce world is always about alternatives or competitors. Hotjar also has alternatives. Not only can your customers go to another company or website – you, as a business owner, also have a choice. This choice is related to every process, including the tools you use for website analytics.
Since its launch in 2014, Hotjar has significantly advanced in its popularity. Today, it’s one of the most renowned alternatives for online business. However, although Hotjar deserves all the credit it gets, its competitors may be more suitable in some cases.
Many online resources rush to start tracking their visitor behavior so much that they skip the preparatory stage. Yet, this stage is essential to pick the optimum service among a gazillion of alternatives and competitors. The right choice may save you money and provide valuable data.
To help you select software with the necessary features, we have completed this detailed overview. It’s not a rating of 17 best Hotjar alternatives and competitors, so that you may disregard the positioning. Instead, we want to highlight the main Hotjar features and compare them to the characteristics of other products, including pros and cons, prices, and the availability of free versions.
What is a Heatmap?
Heatmap displays the data on visitor activity with the help of color-coding. This means that the statistics on visitor interactions are converted into the corresponding color and shade. The level of heat reflects the level of visitor activity. The places clicked the most often are yellow and red, whereas ignored spots are cold blue or green.
Why You Need a Heatmap
The tools like Google Analytics show which pages are popular among users, but there is one key thing they cannot do. They don’t provide metrics on how visitors behave, what makes them convert, and what nudges them into leaving. Web analytics competitors can help you step into your visitors’ shoes. Their features allow you to see where website visitors stop, what order they click elements, how deep they scroll pages, and more.
Components of Heatmaps
Heatmapping software is a broad category that comprises several types of tools. The features of every product vary depending on the provider. Whereas some companies focus on click collection, other competitors specialize in screen recording and scroll tracking.
The creators of such software believe that the cursor’s position reflects how we look at the page. For example, if most visitors focus on a specific place, the spot is trendy. If the element located there isn’t that important, you should replace it with something critical like a Buy button or its alternatives. This, way hover maps help understand where to add calls-to-action, buttons, and other elements that make website visitors convert.
Click maps look similarly to hover maps. The algorithms of these alternatives differ. Click maps are based on aggregated click data. In other words, unlike their hover competitors, they calculate completed clicks. The more clicks, the warmer the element, and vice versa.
They show when visitors click inactive elements or try to use the URLs that lead to nowhere. What’s the point here? Let’s talk numbers. 57% of users won’t recommend a company with a poorly designed mobile website; 38% – can leave a web resource because of an unattractive layout or content.
This kind of heatmapping alternatives isn’t critical if you run a simple website with short web pages. Still, there are several cases when scroll maps are essential. For example, they effectively help to optimize long forms or landing pages. You get a chance to see how much patience your visitors have and what makes them lose it. Maybe, it’s a field that asks to provide their phone number? Or a Subscribe button? You never know unless you use a scroll map.
Remember that a combination of several tools that complement each other is always better than one tool. Therefore, make sure to pick a product that unites the listed features and provides a bird’ eye view of your website’s performance.
What is Hotjar and What it Can Do For Your Website?
It allows you to get detailed information on how visitors browse your website. It doesn’t substitute Google Analytics or similar alternatives and competitors. Hotjar completes their data. It was designed for website owners and marketers who want to stay updated on their customers’ tastes and preferences.
Hotjar consists of a traditional set of heatmaps and provides excellent form analysis features. Here are details on both features.
- Heatmapping software. It provides everything necessary to see how visitors perceive your website and navigate. Besides, Hotjar records and displays data by device type (desktops, mobiles, and tablets). This lets you view separate statistics on the desktop and responsive versions of your web resource. Sometimes, mobile versions have subtle flaws that make smartphone users go to your competitors despite not being noticeable on desktops. Tuning up your website usability will improve customer retention and make your business more profitable.
- Form analysis (predictably) helps to see how visitors interact with your online forms. You can discover which fields are left unfilled or why people decide to abandon a form. This data is a wonderful resource for adapting your forms to visitors’ preferences and increasing your response rate. The higher the response rate, the more conversions you have. Note that not all Hotjar alternatives and competitors support form analysis.
This is one of the most popular mapping tools used by website owners and marketers to perfect their web resources and customer experience.
The price of this service is very flexible. The cost depends on the number of pageviews/ day collected and additional features. It is worth mentioning that for paid plans, Hotjar offers a 15-day trial and 30-day money-back guarantee. This approach allows users to evaluate the features of Hotjar and compare it to other alternatives and competitors before they subscribe.
Generally, there are 3 subscription plans:
- Personal. This plan can be either Basic (test mode) or Plus. You will get a chance to collect 2,000 pageviews/day with limited reports and 365-day data storage. If these Hotjar features cannot satisfy your needs, you can switch to Personal Plus for €29/month to get 10,000 pageviews/day, unlimited reports.
- Business. From €89 to €589 per month, Business Hotjar provides advanced features and removes Hotjar branding elements from polls, surveys, etc. The cheapest option supports 20,000 pageviews/day, the most expensive – 400,000 pageviews/day.
- Agency. Maximum Hotjar features discussed on a per-customer basis.
The tool integrates with:
Hotjar Support, Documentation, and Data Security
This service has taken care of its customers and created detailed manuals and a step-by-step guide on every feature. There are also FAQs and an explanation of the differences between Hotjar and Google Analytics.
We recommend to read the next articles:
- Compare Hotjar VS Crazy Egg
- Compare Hotjar VS Lucky Orange
- Compare Hotjar VS Fullstory
- Compare Hotjar VS Mouseflow
Best Hotjar Alternatives and Competitors to Consider in 2021
The website analytics industry is rapidly growing with the regular launch of new tools. Let’s take a look at the best options you may test in 2021.
Plerdy as One of the Alternatives
Plerdy is a CRO & SEO platform that helps business owners, marketers, CRO, SEO, and UX/UI professionals grow their online business relying on accurate user behavior data.
Plerdy already includes 7 products:
- PopUP Forms
- SEO checker
- Session Replay
- Event Tracking
- Sales Performance
- Conversion Funnel.
Comparing Hotjar vs. Plerdy, for example, Plerdy heatmap is better than:
- Data is tied to specific elements and doesn’t look like unrelated color spots.
- All data is displayed on website pages in real-time instead of screenshots.
- Plerdy collects clicks on dynamic elements.
- All reports are available both for mobile and desktop devices.
- Data segmentation by traffic channel.
- Data segmentation by user group.
- Data segmentation by country.
- First, click testing.
- Sales impact analysis for each element.
Each of the Plerdy products helps solve at least 6-10 business or marketing problems.
Pros of Plerdy as One of the Competitors
- Unlike Hotjar, Plerdy collects data on dynamic objects
- Affordable prices
- Individual tags for event tracking
- SEO alerts with updates about website performance and changes
Econom – $29, Business – $59, Premium – $99, Enterprise – discussed individually. The pricing influences page views, active pages, months of data storage, smart form functionality, and other additional features. A free version is available.
Mouseflow is a website conversion platform with a classic set of features. Mouseflow integrates with Google Analytics, Shopify, PrestaShop, Magento, and other popular CRM and marketing alternatives.
Hotjar vs Mouseflow
According to customer reviews, Hotjar is easier to use than Mouseflow and provides more decent customer support. Besides, it stores analytics data for 1 year, at least two times longer than Mouseflow.
Both competitors can be used to track customer conversion funnel and website behavior. The alternatives have almost the same trial period for paid subscriptions: 14 days (Mouseflow) and 15 days (Hotjar)
- JS error tracking that identifies website bugs
- Data accuracy issues on mobile devices
Starter – €29/month, Growth – €99/month, Pro – €399/month, Enterprise – discussed on an individual basis.
Crazy Egg is known for its Confetti filter that allows tracking referral sources to see where your website visitors come from. You can also choose from other metrics such as time of day, operating system, device type, campaign source, browser type, and more.
Hotjar vs Crazy Egg
Both competitors offer heatmap reports supported on mobile devices. You can see how visitors interact with your website and content depending on various factors. Hotjar includes a move map feature that Crazy Egg doesn’t have, whereas Crazy Egg has a 30-day trial (compared to 15 days of Hotjar)
- Confetti filter with easily customizable variables for traffic segmentation
- Crazy Egg has no compatibility issues that sometimes happen with Hotjar and other alternatives
- No API access
Basic – $24/month, Standard – $49/month, Plus – $99/month, Pro – $249/month, Custom – discussed on an individual basis.
You will get access to your personal Lucky Orange dashboard, conversion funnels, visitor recordings, heatmaps, form analytics, visitors polls, and, most importantly, chats.
Hotjar vs Lucky Orange
If you have a very limited budget, this may be a valid reason to opt for Lucky Orange. Besides, you should pick this option from all Hotjar competitors if you need live chats. Other than that, Hotjar provides broader functionality and better performance.
- Lucky Orange price starts at $10 per month, which is lower than the majority of other alternatives and competitors
- You cannot delete unnecessary recordings
- Slow data processing
- Lucky Orange has an inconvenient UI
Starter – $10/month, Small Business – $20/month, Medium – €50, Large – €100, Enterprise – discussed on an individual basis.
Freshmarketer is a marketing automation tool powered by Freshworks. It’s one of 13 tools currently available from this provider. Freshmarketer automatically detects a device type to display the necessary heatmap format and includes a built-in split testing feature.
Hotjar vs Freshmarketer
The biggest concern of Freshmarketer users is its price. While most Hotjar alternatives fall under the same price range (monthly subscription starts from around $30), Freshmarketer is at least 1.5 times more pricey. Since Freshmarketer is actively developed, users often complain about some bugs. On the other hand, Hotjar is a well-tested product with smooth performance. If you want more information, you can check a separate Freshmarketer’s document comparing it with Hotjar as one of the alternatives.
- Chrome plugin for A/B testing
- Data backup in multiple locations
- Bugs and slower performance
Garden – $49/month, Estate – $99/month (if paid annually). A free version is available.
It’s the best of Hotjar alternatives if you want to get recordings of visitor behavior. Yet note that it takes a lot of time to process such videos.
Hotjar vs Sessioncam
Sessioncam provides insufficient information about its prices and features. According to the reviews, it’s more expensive than Hotjar and is more suitable for medium and large enterprises.
- Calculates customer struggle rate to show which website areas and confusing and difficult to use
- Sessioncam supports many third-party integrations
- Hotjar has more features than Sessioncam
The pricing of Sessioncam is quote-based.
Compared to other Hotjar alternatives and competitors, Inspectlet is more focused on session recording. Click maps and scroll maps are just complementary features.
Hotjar vs Inspectlet
Whereas Hotjar doesn’t offer real-time analytics, Inspectlet immediately displays statistics on visitor interactions. Both competitors provide a test version and several paid options.
- Data is segmented by device type
- Inaccurate data on mobile users
Micro – $39/month, Startup – $79/month, Growth – $149, Accelerate – $299, Enterprise – $499. A free version is available.
Clicktale is a cloud-based marketing analytics platform. Unfortunately, they don’t provide sufficient information to compare their service with other competitors and alternatives.
Hotjar vs Clicktale
Both competitors include personal dashboards, provide behavior mapping features, and support all platforms (web, iOS, Android, Mac, Cloud).
- Instant access to session recording once you click any relevant report in the Clicktale dashboard
- Clicktale captures experience sensors that help to evaluate specific behavior, such as typing speed, hesitation, and duration. This improves targeting and fraud prevention.
- Poor usability
Not provided by Clicktale. Based on some online reviews, the cheapest plan will cost you at least $99/month.
Clicky is a web analytics service with heatmaps, session replays, SEO, and SMM tools. Like Plerdy we have described above, it supports alerts that will instantly inform you about any significant changes on your website. Don’t let the outdated interface confuse you – it’s a quality platform.
Hotjar vs Clicky
The setup process of these two alternatives is very similar. They can also be installed with the help of Google Tag Manager or as plugins for WordPress, Shopify, Magento, and other popular platforms. Compared to Hotjar, Clicky is quite inconvenient to users without proper knowledge of English. The localizalition process is performed on a volunteer basis. Generally, Clicky is more suitable for website analytics, whereas Hotjar is recommended for conversion optimization. Thus, make sure you know your needs before choosing any of the competitors.
- Clicky supports a widget that allows you to view website analytics without leaving its pages
- Variety of third-party plugins and adds-on
- File export limitations
- Minor data inaccuracies
Pro – $9.99/month, Pro Plus – $14.99/month, Pro Platinum – $19.99/month, Custom – varies. A free version is available.
Fullstory provides ultimate customization since you can black- or whitelist domains, geographic location, or IP to enable or disable recording.
Hotjar vs Fullstory
Fullstory provides features for UX improvement and is more expensive than Hotjar, but it also offers more features. Both competitors are GDPR compliant and very easy to install.
- Fullstory is very helpful to fine-tune your visitor experience
- Export of CVS and JSON data ready for analysis
- Fullstory skips the periods of inactivity during playback
- FullStory is more expensive than other competitors and alternatives
The full story provides business and enterprise plans priced on an individual basis. A free version is available.
Optimizely is more than one of Hotjar’s competitors – these tools integrate.
Hotjar vs Optimizely
To put it shortly, Optimizely is a multi-functional platform for A/B front-end testing. It can do what Hotjar doesn’t, and vice versa.
It’s quite hard to tell which of these competitors is more suitable since they are designed for different purposes. Optimizely can create different versions of a web page to test its effectiveness, whereas Hotjar is meant for visitor behavior analytics and CRO. If you cannot afford to pay for two of these alternatives, mind your primary needs.
- Excellent documentation and onboarding
- Requires integration to perform the same functions as Hotjar
Optimizely doesn’t disclose its pricing. Generally, there are three plans: Essentials, Business, and Enterprise.
Matomo is a web analytics platform that can be hosted on your server.
Hotjar vs Matomo
Both alternatives pay a lot of attention to visitor data privacy and GDPR compliance. Nevertheless, Matomo took security a step further and launched GDPR Manager, which can check whether a specific website is compliant. In terms of pricing, Matomo and Hotjar belong to the same category. In Matomo, you can buy additional pageviews for €2 or €3, which is great if you don’t want to upgrade your account.
- Matomo tracking based on IP addresses
- You can obtain raw data for maximum accuracy
- Matomo is open-source and freely accessible
- Matomo users complain about insufficient help resources
Essential – €19/month, Business – €29/month, Enterprise – discussed individually.
In VWO, a heatmap is only an additional tool. This service is dedicated to website UX and design testing. The team of VWO stresses that this tool can do more than HotJar and its alternatives and even illustrates this with a table. The product comprises several tools, including VWO testing, VWO Insights, VWO Fullstack, VWO Engage, and VWO plan. You can combine them to your liking.
Hotjar vs VWO
It’s also a very effective service for A/B testing which is unavailable in Hotjar. You can use it to see how visitors react to your design solutions before making drastic changes.
- No data limits
- Need to switch between tests
- Occasional overlapping of heatmaps within A/B tests
Depends on the combination of tools selected. For example, VWO Engage starts from $99/month, whereas Fullstack will cost you $1999/month.
Ptengine functionality is mainly suitable for website analytics and customer engagement. Unfortunately, the website doesn’t provide detailed information about Ptengine features.
Hotjar vs Ptengine
Ptengine has a lot in common with Google Analytics. Yet, it cannot fully substitute Hotjar since the features are more limited. In case you are looking for something tried and tested, Ptengine may not be the best choice.
- Ptengine displays data in real time
- Ptengine website doesn’t work properly and some important sections are unavailable
- Delays in data updates
Ptengine is priced in yen, so get ready to convert the currency. The cheapest paid subscription will cost you approximately $130/month, medium – $265/month, and the most expensive – $450/month. A free version is available.
Zoho Pagesense is a conversion optimization platform that allows you to set performance goals, conduct A/B website design testing and URL split testing.
Hotjar vs Zoho Pagesense
These guys dedicated a separate page on their website to explain why Zoho Pagesense is better than Hotjar, its competitors and alternatives. They boast iframe support, goals tracking.
- Zoho Pagesense offers cheaper subscription plans
- Customer support should be improved
Standard – €17, Professional – €79, Enterprise – €419 (if paid yearly).
Like many other described competitors and alternatives, Smartlook is a website conversion platform. It works well both on websites and Android or iOS apps.
Comparing Alternatives: Hotjar vs Smartlook
Both competitors are GDPR compliant, so you won’t need to worry about data privacy while using them. Besides, they provide a money-back guarantee, which is great.
Whereas Hotjar can offer you more in terms of features, Smartlook provides a deeper insight into visitor behavior. If you just need to see how visitors behave on your web resource, opt for Smartlook. Otherwise, you may need something more diverse and multifunctional.
- Smartlook focuses both on website and mobile app analytics
- Some users complain that Smartlook may skip sessions
- Visitor geolocation issues
Website Starter – €31/month, Website Power – €79 /month; App Starter – €48/month, App Power – €96 /month. A free version is available.
The last position on our list of competitors and alternatives is Decibel Insight, customer experience analytics service. With the main focus on heatmapping software, it also provides session replay that shows any deviations in visitor behavior.
Comparing Alternatives: Hotjar vs Decibel Insight
Decibel Insight is just what you need if you are looking for an easy-to-use website maps. You can check them separately or view in the same window in real-time. Apart from that, Hotjar is more advanced than Decibel Insight
- Supports Hybrid heatmaps that unite several types of maps for additional convenience
- Supports a narrow scope of features
As you can see, the options are almost unlimited. We won’t recommend you to use certain alternatives and competitors since everything depends on your needs. Just remember that despite being very effective, Hotjar isn’t the only option. Sometimes, a service with simpler features and a focus on heatmapping may be all you need.