We stand for 🇺🇦 Ukraine. You can find more information and donate here
This was a highly ambitious project and our client wanted to take a great part of the market at the earliest possible time. The newly created online store almost didn’t have traffic. It got 30-40 visitors per day thanks to the referral traffic from the corporate website while search traffic was absent. Roughly speaking, we had to turn the new online store into a market leader in 12 months.
We started from the estimation of possible results and formed a strategy to achieve them.
When it comes to SEO you cannot predict results 100% correctly, you can just rely on competitors experience and market trends.
The point is that there are too many factors that cannot be forecasted (for example, it will be raining, so the number of search queries and buyers will rapidly decrease as nobody will plant seedlings under the rain). Any online store is similar to a simple store. You cannot predict how many visitors will come in tomorrow or the other day.
That’s why it is necessary to analyze the number of users that visit competitors’ websites and the number of searches related to a certain topic. Based on this data, you can forecast the possible traffic.
Having completed such market analysis, we found out that is was possible to get 3,000 visitors/day and created an action plan to do that.
The main task was to get more visitors and win a substantial part of the market. So we had to:
Also, we completed monthly monitoring and control tasks:
The first thing done was the creation of the following working strategy: to achieve our goals we needed to optimize all categories of the online store (initially there were 100 of them) and possibly increase their number to 250.
To use the keywords of all 250 categories we had to optimize them. As we wanted to make the optimization as effective as possible, we used latent semantic indexing keywords for each category of products. So the semantics of every optimized page was more deeply analyzed and we formed a broader list of keywords that later served as a basis for future SEO-content creation and use. This way, the landing pages could cover more phrases and we greatly improved their visibility. Generally, we handled over 5,000 of keywords, divided them into nearly 300 groups, and arranged on the landing pages of the website.
Of course, backlinks also remain an important factor, so they comprised the second part of our basic tasks.
The number of links was growing extremely fast, so to prevent any possible problems and make the content more diverse we used crowd marketing.
This graph shows the growth of links during the year:
However, we started to optimize links and categories only from the second month of the project.
The whole first month was spent on the full SEO audit and elimination of the found flaws.
From the technical perspective, the website was quite good, so we paid attention to the tiniest details such as duplicated alt and title attributes on thumbnail images and product cards or missing alt attributes on the images in a news section. We corrected the found shortcomings and configured all the necessary services.
From the second month, we started an active phase of promotion. Our specialists on semantic keyword research and link building got to the work. As it was already mentioned, we had to handle 250 categories within 12 months only, so we worked on 20 categories every month. Our team prepared 20 groups of LSI keywords and created an anchor list for future links.
Also, we set a crowd marketing task.
On the next stage of our project, every month we:
According to our working strategy, we were also supposed to improve the website.
In addition to the completed basic tasks, we also took steps to increase the users’ trust to the new and yet unknown online store. We covered informational keywords, wrote numerous reviews of the products and store, and actively created descriptions for product cards, which gave us 3,744 pages that are indexed in search.
While the number of visitors was growing we faced a problem: the website started to work really slowly. As it turned out, the website included too much stuff to improve the conversion rate, which greatly increased the load on the server. However, our technical specialists transferred the website to a more powerful server, optimized all scripts and a database, which speeded up requests processing and ensured the stability of the website.
With nearly 5,000 of everyday visitors the website behavior was relatively good: the loading speed didn’t exceed 3 seconds.
Having summarized the whole work done and after the analysis of final results, we saw that the traffic increased from 40 organic visitors to 3,000 during the year of our cooperation.
Thanks to the right optimization strategy and the work with links the majority of our keyphrases were included into top 10 search results. The online store became one of the leaders in this market niche while the last month revenue reached around 1,000,000 UAH, not including phone orders.
Visitors per day (organic search)
Website visitors (12th month)
Store revenue (total)
Store revenue (organic search)
Online store ROI